Mexican “meat” mix! (Vegan)
- 500g mushrooms, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 medium sized capsicum
- 2 tbsp. oil
- 1 can lentils, drained
- 1 small can corn kernals
- 1 can red kidney beans or “Mexi-beans” if your supermarket stocks them
- 1/2 packet mexican seasoning mix (check ingredients to ensure vegan)*
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 tsp. chili (dried, fresh or from a jar) (optional)
- Heat oil in a fry pan and cook onion for two minutes until it starts to go soft, then add mushrooms, cook for a further two minutes, then add beans, lentils, corn, capsicum and tomato.
- Once that has warmed up, add the mexican seasoning a couple of tsps at a time, tasting the sauce as you go ‘til you get it to a level of spiciness that suits you.
- Add chili to taste and leave “meat” and sauce to simmer for 15 mins or until it has thickened, stirring occasionally.
*If you can’t find seasoning mix, using 1- 2 tsp of spices such as paprika, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano leaves, salt and 1/4 cup chili powder will create the same flavour!
I use this recipe for everything, tacos, burritos and is this case, nachos! A layer of plain corn chips, followed by the “meat”, put in the oven until the corn chips get a bit crispier, then I topped it with salsa, avocado and Tofutti cream cheese! Oh and instead of putting the corn in the “meat” I just put it on top ‘cause I like it fresh n_n